Portfolio > Churches

prints and cards available

Sts Mary and Joseph Chapel .
Sts Mary and Joseph Chapel
Sts Mary and Joseph Chapel . South St. Louis
13.5 x 10.5

In 1835, the log Church would eventually fall down and be reconstructed using stone. It contains a large scale bell which originally belonged to the first Catholic house of worship in St. Louis. It contains white washed walls with scriptural engravings and unpainted pews numbered in chalk.

On 1858, the cornerstone of a third church was laid, the great orator, Father Patrick J. Ryan preaching the sermon. Father Ryan would later become the Vicar General of St. Louis and Pastor of the Old Cathedral. The church was built by Father Lawrence Henrick, having a brick foundation.

In 1940, Sts. Mary and Joseph present day church was built and is considered one of the most beautiful and thoroughly constructed churches in St. Louis. It is the British village chapel type with a touch of Gothic architecture. The columns and arches are made of bedford Indiana limestone. The entire ceiling was crafted from exposed timber and the entrance was built using Wisconsin Lannon stone trimmed with bedford limestone.