Original and prints available.
The village of Collinsville had a circulating library as early as 1838. It was known as the Collinsville Library Association and was a mutual organization formed to buy books and to pass them around among the members. There were 94 names signed to the roll, and the first minutes of a meeting show that it was held February 11, 1838. Three hundred books were bought and Miss Lucia Derrin, a graduate of Collinsville High School, was secured as librarian. During July she took a course in library training in Hartford. The books were catalogued under the direction of a state inspector of libraries1